Subject Leader: Mrs B Matthews
Foreign languages are a compulsory subject at KS2 (Years 3-6).
Teaching may be of any modern or ancient foreign language, and should “lay the foundations” for foreign language learning at KS3.
At St Joseph’s, the children learn Italian. They are taught to:
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- Engage in conversations, ask and answer questions, express opinions and respond to those of others, and seek clarification and help
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- Broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- Write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, expressing their ideas clearly
- Describe people, places, things and actions in speech and in writing
We also offer an extra-curricular Italian club which is run by our Italian teacher. In this club, the children are able to apply some of the language skills which they have learned in lessons through games and activities.